Friday 17 October 2014

Cooking #1: It doesn’t always go right


Thanks to a macaroon master class at the start of the year; making macaroons aren't a daunting thing. I've made them for my friend Paula’s hen do earlier this year, and today I made them for my friend Linsey’s birthday. Well belated birthday present, her birthday was in May and I gave her a ‘Joss’s birthday bakery voucher’, where she could pick from a list of things I could bake. So five months later she got some macaroons. Not just any macaroons but a new Malteaser macaroon recipe.

Although I know how to make macaroons, I've noticed macaroon recipes vary quite a lot, and it seems recipes I find online don’t always go my way. It’s probably me not being a great cook, but today they didn't go quite right. It can be a number of things that can go wrong; the mixture has been folded too much, the egg whites were too firm, or the oven was too hot or they were in for too long. For today’s batch the shells broke and there wasn't a good enough skin, if that’s the right baking term.
However I did manage to salvage a few for Linsey, so she got her birthday present in the end. She looks quite happy with them.



The recipe I tried is from the Little Loaf site where there are lots more yummy treats. And for me, onwards and upwards for the next new thing to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment