Friday 31 October 2014

Writing 29 pages of a screenplay per month #1: A sporting finish and may the force be with you

The screen-writing part of the 29 challenge is probably the hardest part for me. It’s not that I don’t enjoy screen-writing, it’s something I've always wanted to do, but it’s just finding the time to sit down and write.  And this month was one week shorter as I started the challenge on the 11th, so I'm even more pleased that I got the pages written!


This month has been a bit unconventional with writing 29 pages. Around the middle of August I started writing a web series called Team Talk Something or Nothing, which is a sports show with a twist. It’s an idea that I first had at uni, but then the format and title just didn't work, so I scrapped the idea. Years later I start thinking about it again, change the format, the title and style and it starts to flow. Before October I had written ¾ of the series, so it was a case of writing additional episodes and extending others to meet the page limits I set. Of course nothing is perfect on the first draft (except Erin Brockovich, which the version they use in the film is the first draft), so I'm going to leave it a month or so and then look at it again with fresh eyes. I’d already started making notes on how to improve it, but I thought if I keep tweaking it, then I’ll never get a first draft complete.

The second part of the screenplay writing this month is for one of my uni friends, who will discover in a few days that I have written a couple of short scripts to do with Star Wars. Why Star Wars? Well my friend shares his name with an up and coming actor who has been cast in the new Star Wars film. 
The actor is also in the series Girls, so whenever that show is aired, my friend gets more twitter followers. With references from our uni course, and an unusual travel guide I'm sure my friend will find it entertaining. 


No comments:

Post a Comment